July 4, 2014 Event, Binghamton, NY
Gallery Shows, Cans and Clams Party by the River with Live Music & Art, Binghamton Artifacts Exhibit & More Highlight the Holiday First Friday Art Walk - JULY 4
Start your artwalking, “Off the Wall,” a. k. a. stopping at Cooperative Gallery 213 (213 State St., Artists’ Row, between Henry & Lewis Sts.) for their “Off the Wall” exhibit of members’ work that is 3D. As the show title says... the featured artwork in this show is literally and figuratively ‘off the wall’. Open on the July 4 First Friday, 6-9 PM, with an additional opening on Thursday, July 3, 6-8 PM, this show continues until July 26, 2014.
Across the street from Cooperative Gallery 213 at Orazio Salati Gallery and Studio (204 State St., Artists’ Row), there’s “Two Continents - Abstract Expressionism,” an exhibit of new abstract oil paintings by Polist artist, Roland Kozlowski which continues through August 2014.
For those in a party mood, check out Equinox Broadcasting’s COOL 106.7’s Cans and Clams party by the river with live music and art at the Holiday Inn Downtown (2-8 Hawley St.). It’s a Jimmy Buffet party on the 4th with music by Outer Reef, 6-9 PM, and Artist Jeff zu Hone with “Art From This Side of the Mississippi,” paintings, drawings and prints of familiar landscapes, including upstate NY. Doors open at 5 PM. In case of rain, the event moves inside.
While downtown, be sure to visit the Isaac Perry exhibit in the Perry building at PAST/Preservation Association of Southern Tier (89 Court St., corner Chenango St. at roundabout, Perry Bldg. 1st Fl.) office. This collaborative exhibit with the Phelps Mansion Museum features Rare Artifacts and Papers from architect Isaac Perry from his business and personal life.
A short distance away from downtown on the city’s west side are two First Friday venues with new gallery shows:
During the July 4 First Friday, there will be no trolley. It will resume for the August 1 First Friday with trolley tours and free rides from 6-9 PM.
This First Friday Art Walk, presented by GWSA and sponsored in part by M&T Bank, Equinox Broadcasting, and Triple Cities Carousel, will feature 15 locations in Binghamton, downtown, west side, and south side, and open Friday from 6-9 PM, unless noted otherwise.
Venue locations on July 4 First Friday are as follows:
— On STATE Street:
— On FRONT Street (West Side):
— On GAINES Street (West Side):
— On HAWLEY Street:
— On MAIN Street (West Side):
— On RIVERSIDE Drive (West Side):
— On S. WASHINGTON Street (South Side):
The First Friday schedule is subject to change without notice.
For more information on the July 4 First Friday Art Walk, contact Kim DeLisa (Chair of Gorgeous Washington Street Association) at Orion Beauty & Balance, 724.0080, or visit GWSA’s website at:
The following Art Walk venues will not be open during the July 4 First Friday, but will have July art exhibits or summer art camps:
1) Broome County Arts Council/BCAC (81 State St., 5th Fl.): Current Exhibition (Thru Sep. 24, 2014): “Collectors’ Items-Leading By Example” - Fine Art from the Personal Collections of BCAC’s Board of Directors & Staff.(Gallery: Open M-F, 11-5, or by appt.) For more information, call 723-4620 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: broomearts.org.
2) Connelly Gallery (205 State St., Artists Row): July Exhibit (Thru July 25, 2014): "Image Makers" - Photographs from Members of the Binghamton Boys and Girls Club. [About This Exhibit: With the help of a professional photographer & new camera equipment, the Club members in the digital photograph program learned the basics of this popular art form & gained a creative outlet for self-expression. While studying topics including composition, exposure & editing, participants are also improving visual awareness, critical thinking & technological skill. This photography program is supported by SONY Electronics & a project grant from the Broome County Arts Council’s United Cultural Fund.](Open Weekdays, 11-5 or by appointment.) Website: bobconnelly.com.
3) Danielle Saraceno & The pARTy Studio (34 Chenango St., Suite 300): Open for Summer Art Camp at The Party Studio: July 14th-18th: 5-8yr olds. July 28th-August 1st: 9-12 yr olds. Camp runs from 9:30 AM-12:30 PM daily, all materials are included. Website: thepartystudiobinghamton.com.
4) Victor Lay at Uptown Style & Spa (26 Court St.): July Exhibit (Thru July 2014): In Main Hallway: Victor Lay: "Binghamton Beauties" - Photo Realism: Scenes of Landscapes & Buildings from Binghamton, Oil Pastels & mostly from life (victorlay.com).(Uptown Style & Spa open Tue.-Sat.)
5) Whole In The Wall Restaurant (43 S. Washington St.): Current Exhibit (Thru July 2014): Featured Artist: Albert White: Paintings & Drawings. Daily Specials & Serving until 10 PM every Wed.-Sat. Outdoor Cafe open, weather permitting.(W-Sat., 11 AM-10 PM. Closed July 4 & 5, 2014.) Website: wholeinthewall.com.
This First Friday Art Walk, presented by the Gorgeous Washington Street Association (GWSA) and sponsored by M&T Bank, will feature 27 locations in Binghamton, downtown, west side, and south side, and open Friday from 6-9 PM, unless noted otherwise.